Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cults @ Brighton Music Hall, 6/12/11



"Last time I was in Boston, I was mugged," said Brian Oblivion of Cults as he crossed to the keyboard between songs. "The guy pulled a knife, told me to give him all my money. Then he taught me how to play Magic cards." Alternately prickly and engaging between songs, Cults dug deep during their actual performances to give rousing new power to their songs. Fresh off the release of their critically praised first album, the band played nearly every one of their released songs while the Mavericks won the NBA championship on the TV screens scattered around the hall.

Cults's power comes, in large part, from Madeline Follin's voice. Her live presence is intense, as she closes her eyes and switches between cooing and straining for emphasis. Songs like "You Know What I Mean" are completely new animals live, with a huge sonic presence that hits you right in the gut. Cults's ascent to popularity may seem arbitrary and sudden to some, but seeing them live leaves no doubt, they are the real deal.

Their tour mates, Guards, led by Cults touring drummer Richie Follin, warmed up the crowd with their bright, short songs. On record, their songs always come across as brilliant and striking but too brief, almost to the point of seeming unfinished, they held their own on the stage, ably setting the scene and even distracting the crowd from the basketball game.

SONG OF THE POST
Oh My God by Cults
The closing number of the evening and my personal favorite Cults song.


CULTS SETLIST
Abducted
The Curse
Never Heal Myself
Most Wanted
You Know What I Mean
Rave On
Bumper
Never Saw The Point
Go Outside
Oh My God

No comments:

Post a Comment