Saturday, March 20, 2010

Time Management And Writing - Spring Break Edition

Here's a challenge and some circumstances which are much more difficult than they seem. Someone, (me) has to do something (write two chapters) and has plenty of time (a whole week) to do it. How is it that such things never seem to go as planned? The idea of all the free time of Spring Break puts me in an absolute terror, to be honest. Writing suffers when it's all condensed into one night of furious catch-up. The loss in revision time is staggering and turns prose weak and confusing. Still, having enough time to do something properly and too much are different things. Spring Break is enough time to write twice what I have to AND revise it, which means that I can put it off until tomorrow and probably will until I am crunched for time and turn in shoddy work sure to send the other members of the class into a haze of annoyed indifference.

How is this relevant to YOU, the writer at home? Well, I suspect you, as a person, probably put things off, too. Learning how to conquer these tendencies is the difference between a writer and some guy with a cool idea. I'll try setting daily time or page goals, anything to tame this thing. I don't yet know what helpful methods are as I've been consistently catastrophic as a manager of time in the past. On Monday, I'll know and, thanks to the magic of the internet, so will you!

SONG OF THE POST
Turn Into by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

No comments:

Post a Comment