Saturday, March 13, 2010

Where Ideas Strike

I just made a plot breakthrough on my story. Now, I've been sitting at my desk, computer on, most of the day. The breakthrough happened when I finally broke away to take a shower. This isn't aberrant at all. In fact, I find that most of my best thinking gets done when anywhere but sitting still in my room. Taking walks, taking showers, travelling on trains. The desk is bad for a few reasons.

1) IT'S STULTIFYING
Sitting at the desk is normal. In the Mp3 era, this is where all the music listening goes down. With my Plasystation in the shop, it's the place to play games and see movies. So, basically, I stay in that chair all day. Being in one place for a long time kills the creative processes like nothing else.

2) THE INTERNET
How easy is it to do something other than write? Fabulously easy, as the fact that I'm typing this rather than writing proves. The internet doesn't just hurt writing attention span, it nukes it from orbit.

3) LEARNING STYLE
This is different for everyone, but I specifically am a kinesthetic learner of the highest order. Movement and action stimulate the brain, so sitting still is a killer. Are you one? It depends. What does taking walks do for your brain? Try it out, you may just dig your way out of a plot hole!

SONG OF THE POST:
Ghost Town by First Aid Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment